Funding and Awards
Numerous funding opportunities are available to graduate students in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Manitoba. These are described briefly below; see the corresponding links for detailed information on eligibility requirements, application procedures, and application deadlines.
Guaranteed Funding Package (GFP)
The Department of Computer Science offers Guaranteed Funding Packages to strong incoming graduate students (both Canadian and international). Applicants to the graduate program are encouraged to submit a completed Computer Science Application for Graduate Funding to be considered for these scholarships. These awards are valued at $16,000 per year for two years for M.Sc. students and $20,000 per year for four years for Ph.D. students. Students receiving a GFP are required to work as a teaching assistant or marker in the Department of Computer Science.
- information: Guaranteed funding packages
- application deadlines: February 1 and July 1
- application form: Graduate Student Funding Application (pdf)
University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship (UMGF)
The Faculty of Graduate Studies offers University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships to strong graduate students (both Canadian and International). These awards are valued at and $12,000 per year for two years for M.Sc. students and $16,000 per year for four years for Ph.D. students.
- information: UMGF
- application deadline: February 11, 2013
- application form: Faculty of Science UMGF Application Form (pdf)
Manitoba Graduate Scholarships
In collaboration with the University of Manitoba, the Goverment of Manitoba offers Manitoba Graduate Scholarships (MGS) in the amount of $15,000 per year for two years for M.Sc. students and $7,500 per year for four years for Ph.D. students. For Ph.D. students, this award is typically held in conjunction with a UMGF, for a total for $23,500 per year. Students who apply for the UMGF are automatically considered for the MGS; no separate application is required.
- information: MGS
- application deadline: same application as UMGF
NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships
Canadian students and permanent residents of Canada are encouraged to apply for NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships. NSERC graduate fellowships range from $17,500 to $35,000 per year. Top-up scholarships from the University providing an additional $7,500 to $12,500 per year are available for graduate students holding an NSERC fellowship.
- information: NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships
- application deadline: early October
- application form: application form completed online (see the link above)
International Graduate Student Scholarships
International students who maintain a grade point average of 3.5 or higher receive the International Graduate Student Entrance Scholarship (IGSES) or the International Graduate Student Scholarship (IGSS), each valued at $4000 per year.
- information: IGSS, IGSES
- application deadline: March 1 (IGSS); new students are automatically considered for the IGSES
- application form: IGSS
Financial Support from Faculty Research Grant
Most faculty members hold research grants from which they may provide financial support to graduate students under their supervision. Specific amounts are determined on an individual basis by each student's supervisor.
Other Graduate Scholarships and Awards
A number of additional scholarships and awards are available to graduate students at the University of Manitoba.
Working as a Marker, Teaching Assistant, or Sessional Instructor
Graduate students have the opportunity to work as a marker, teaching assistant, or sessional lecturer at the University of Manitoba to earn additional income. This work is voluntary and is not required.
- information: See the human resources website for postings
- application deadline: Students interested in obtaining a position should begin watching for postings starting July for the Fall term and October for the Winter term.
- application form: Completed application forms should be submitted to the main CS office (E2-445)
Various needs-based bursaries are available to graduate students at the University of Manitoba.
Information on current tuition amounts, payment deadlines, and payment options can be found on the following pages: